The State Bar of Michigan Probate and Estate Planning Section will host a seminar, "Planning Techniques for the Taxable Estate," at 9 a.m. on Dec. 1 at the Inn at St. John's in Plymouth. The Institute of Continuing Legal Education is co-sponsoring the seminar.
Those in attendance will learn to secure clients' wealth in today's estate tax environment, get an expert overview of critical concepts and walk away with sample language to use in their practices.
They will also learn to:
- Address portability issues
- Spot Generation-Skipping Tax (GST) implications
- Counsel clients on gifting programs that will achieve tax advantages
- Use marital and non-marital trusts effectively
- Apply the various funding formulas
- Know when the grantor or beneficiary can be a trustee
- Ensure trust funding continues during the life of the grantor
The seminar costs $145 for section members and ICLE basic partners, $165 for general admission, and is free for ICLE premium partners.
Register on the ICLE website.